In 1926, Walter R. Johnson and his wife Ruby started an insurance agency in their farm home located southeast of Ogden, Iowa. They made a great team. Walter sought out customers and kept record of their business transactions in a little book he carried around in his pocket. Ruby collected payments from customers and did the bookkeeping. It wasn’t uncommon for someone to stop Walter on the street in town and ask him for an auto insurance policy or ask him for help with their existing auto policy. Walter enjoyed fraternizing with his local customers.
In 1963, E. Alan Johnson, one of Walter and Ruby’s sons, joined Walter. The agency was renamed Walter R. Johnson & Son. Walter and Alan enjoyed their association with their customers both old and new. In 1967, Walter and Alan decided to move the office from its rural location to West Walnut Street in Ogden. In that same year, another of Walter and Ruby’s sons, Daryl W. Johnson, left employment with a Des Moines-based insurance company and joined forces with Walter and Alan. The agency was renamed Johnson & Sons, Inc. Together, Walter and two of his sons continued to focus on their customers. What started out as a small insurance business consisting of Walter fraternizing with a few hundred customers and all of his recordkeeping in his little pocket record book, had grown into much more.
In 1977, the agency expanded with its Dayton, Iowa office. D. Mark Klever joined the agency to manage the Dayton Office. In 1985, another office was opened in Boone, Iowa. In 1987, Johnson & Sons purchased the Partners [now Iowa Realty] real estate franchise.
In 2001, grandson Erick E. Johnson joined the agency. Johnson & Sons, Inc. has grown from one little book and one location to what it is today. Several of Walter and Ruby’s grandchildren have worked in the agency at various times. The agency thrives from Walter and Ruby’s legacy of family and staff fraternizing with their customers.